rick fetters

Default How to make tapered tubes?

I have always wanted a 'magic' way to make small diameter tapered
tubes. Having looked the past couple of years for a simple solution,
I have kind of given up. A local blacksmith/artist acquaintance does
it by taking pipe or tubing, he then cuts a wedge shaped piece out of
the pipe, from one end to the other. Next he heats the pipe/tubing up
in his forge and the proceeds to 'close' the pipe/tube back together
using various forms he has made as an aid/support to his hammering.
Then he welds the edges back together. Once formed he the proceeds to
shape the tubing into the form of tree branches or vines. Very
laborious process, but it looks beautiful. I was thinking that a
hydraulic press might aid in the closure of the pipe, but haven't
tried it myself. Still searching for an easier way. rick