aribert

Default OT repairing Resistance wire heater in Refrigerator

The mullion (part between the refridge and freezer doors, only way that
I know this part's name is that I looked this part up on line) has been
sweating a lot lately and the existing small rust patch has grown much
larger. WHile removing the part to derust and paint it I discovered a
resistance wire heating element under this trim piece. Ohmed it and
confirmed that the wire lacked continuity. By progressively scraping
off tiny patches of insulation along the wire I discovered the failed
area. How do I splice it. The wire is very small in diameter and it
appears to be wrapped around a fabric core, plastic outer insulator.
THere is not enough wire there to twist together. I'm inclinded to
believe that I can not solder the wire. Would I be able to crimp the
wires? What happens locally when there is a discontinuity in the wire
diameter? Will this end up being a hot spot where the wire is inclined
to break again in the near future?