Posted to sci.electronics.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
david lang

Default Safely discharging a capacitor

Andy Dingley wrote:

You use induction motors whenever you can - they're quieter (this is a
domestic appliance after all) and they're cheaper.

Odd. The only experience I have is with high pressure cleaners. The el
cheapo DIY jobbys have brush motors which make a terrible screaming noise -
but they use them to reduce costs.

The advantage of
the brushed motor is that they have much higher torque at low speeds
or when stalled (why they appear on power tools) and they're also
more easily controllable for variable speeds etc. There's a lot of
things a washing machine does that a tumble drier just doesn't need.

I can see the logic in that, but I've always assumed (from my HPC
experiences) that induction motors were much more expensive.

Dave