Posted to sci.electronics.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

Default Safely discharging a capacitor

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:12:06 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

I don't know, never had one apart, but I assumed they all did. Every
washing machine I've ever repaired had a brush motor, why would they use
induction on a tumble fryer as a matter of interest?

You use induction motors whenever you can - they're quieter (this is a
domestic appliance after all) and they're cheaper. The advantage of the
brushed motor is that they have much higher torque at low speeds or when
stalled (why they appear on power tools) and they're also more easily
controllable for variable speeds etc. There's a lot of things a washing
machine does that a tumble drier just doesn't need.