Posted to rec.woodworking
Eugene Nine

Default OT Google buys AOL chunks

Odinn wrote:

On 12/21/2005 4:04 PM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:38:41 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Ah, so you're a fully-recovered sysadmin, then. A difficult state to
get to.

For me, it was a determination hard-won one Thanksgiving Day, around 6-7
years ago, when I spent my dinner getting yelled at by some third-party
suit while trying to ensure Santa's cam stayed up for a large NY
department store that everybody knows about in preparation for black
friday...

Lovely. Not allowed to tell him to **** off, I take it?

Third party developers (two 3rd-party outfits involved), me on the west
coast, managing (ugh. juggling!) Windows "servers"

Yeah, that'd be enough to turn anyone off.

(and I'm being very
liberal using that term) back east, because I said I'd be willing to
manage the windows stuff.

Oddly enough, our Linux boxes use exactly the same hardware as the
Windows team's servers, and, well, guess which ones are stable.

Ours do too. The windows servers are just as stable as the linux
servers. Don't get me wrong, I've been a UNIX admin for 20+ years, I
hate windows, but I have to admit, that Win2k3 is pretty damn stable,
especially if it is set up correctly.

I'm pretty disappointed with w2k3. There are way too many hotfixes needed
to get clustering running stable, about 1/2 are included in sp1 but there
are still way too many fixes and tweaks to get clustering working close to
as stable as w2k.