William G Darby

Default Call me crazy (using hydraulic oil as a flood coolant)

I just bought ten gallons of ISO 10 hydraulic fluid to try as flood coolant.
I am just now draining out the rancid water soluble and drying out the sump
before I fill it with the ISO 10. There are two drains to my sump and I am
going to block both so that the way oil cannot get to the sump and mix with
the ISO 10. It (the way oil off of the X,Y and Z slides) will collect in
the trough around the base and I will have to keep it cleaned out. I have an
enclosed table and it is possible for me to drain the ISO 10 directly to
the sump via a holding strainer to allow the rough filtering out of cuttings
before they find their way to the sump.

I know that one of the guys already uses hydraulic fluid as a coolant so I
am sure it will work but I would invite any comment on what I'm doing, that
may pre warn me of potential problems or any pro or con comments.

**************

In cleaning my sump I did make one very cheerful discovery (That is, if you
can find anything cheerful about cleaning a sump!!) Well anyway usually if I
have any liquids to vacuum I use my wet/dry shop vac but there is always the
inevitable messy cleanup of the vac. So this time I decided to attach the
vac to the poring spout of an empty 5 gal way oil can and a short length of
garden hose into the air vent hole on the 5 gal can. It worled like a charm!

The garden hose slipped easily into the sump's air vent holes and I was able
to get into every crack and cranny. The mess was confined to the 5 gal can
and it was easily emptied when near to full. All round, a hell of a lot
better experience then having the liquid go into the vac.

Bill D