Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default OT Google buys AOL chunks

On 12/21/2005 9:46 PM Matt Stachoni mumbled something about the following:
On 21 Dec 2005 18:25:18 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

My machine was last rebuilt about 8 months ago,

One of my busier servers hasn't been rebuilt, and hasn't been rebooted
in (let's see...497+497+199= 1193 days). It was a sunday morning, and
the reboot was due to a clumsy mistake, not a system problem.

Great, I find myself in a ****ing contest over server uptime. No
thanks.

I reboot my corporate Windows servers once every 3.67 hours or my hard
drive will melt and time will stop. Happy?

The rest of your post was too idiotic to even comment on.

Matt

I agree. Any UNIX server that has in excess of 3 years uptime has way
too many kernel security holes in it, ESPECIALLY if it is Linux. I have
3 Solaris servers that are in excess of that time, but they are isolated
instances because the software we use is unsupported and will not run on
a later version of the OS, nor will it even run on the patches that fix
the couple of security holes because the patches also do other tweaks
that the software doesn't like. Thank goodness it's an internal machine
and not on the DMZ.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net