Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default Boring head dumb question

Replacing setscrews etc on most all of the import stuff makes a world
of difference, and is highly recomended. I cant see why they make a
half assed decent item only to put such cheap and soft setscrews etc
in it........

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:18:03 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Hello all,

I have been looking at $80-100 import boring head/bar sets. For that
money, I would not expect to start rebuilding V12 engines, but it would
hopefully teach me a little and tolerate abuse as an adjustable hole saw.
Is that a reasonable expection?

We had some Chinese boring heads at school. You could easily hit a hole to
.001", closer if you take your time.

I would recommend replacing all the fasteners (basically the setscrews for
clamping the tool, and the slide) before use. Correctly adjusting the
tension on the clamping screws for the slide is important for good results
and bad hardware makes your life *difficult*.

YMMV.

Regards,

Robin

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....