Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default worth machining myself; how to begin?

Karl Townsend wrote:

Hi,
I'm interested first in machining ...

I'm a freshman in college now, and we have a machine shop. ...

Here's the two key points in your note.

Congratulations on your interest. This interest can take you as far as you'd
like to go. Make it a career, or a life long hobby.

Second, take advantage of this machine shop NOW. You've got a well equipped
shop AND someone to mentor you. You may not get an opportunity like this
again. Make something, anything, and learn all you can.

As to your vice project, sounds like fun. I'd plan on the first one for
practice. You ain't a machinist till you screw up, and you will. Then make
one again - it will come out real nice.

Karl

Well said, Karl. That's excellent advice. Don't be too disheartened when
you do screw up. Figure out what you did wrong and treat it as a
learning experience. Also, many of the instructors in college machine
shops are real experts, and they'll be pleased to help anyone who shows
a little extra interest.

Chris