Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
Yes they do - as anyone who walks close to town traffic will know. You
can instantly tell an older non cat equipped car by the smell. And
it's not pleasant.

This is rubbish. Most cars are used for short journeys, during
which their catalytic converters do not work properly.

It would have to be a *very* short journey indeed. Most these days light
up very quickly.

There's also another potential health problem in that masses of finely-
divided platinum is now being deposited all over the place.

You'd prefer lead? And in *vastly* greater quantities?

CO2 may be bad for global warming, but CO, NOX and hydrocarbons
aren't pleasant at the point of emission.

What does a catalytic converter spit out then it's not yet
functioning well?

See above. But the same as a non cat engine.

Perhaps you'd like to transfer this (or x-psot) to a relevant
car-related NG.

Err, I didn't start the cat. business. I thought the development by BMW
about using waste heat might be of interest on here.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.