Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

The last versions with ECU controlled mixture and idle speed in an attempt
to control emissions were hardly paragons of reliability - although they
did work ok when they worked. However, must have come very close to the
cost of decent EFI, so really rather pointless.

I had one. After a run on the motorway, the pin that controlled the
idle speed
would get stuck, such that you would enter a village, pull up at a
zebra crossing,
and some old lady would get terrified by a car revving like a maniac.
And the
whole high street turned to look at me like the joy riders had entered
town.
I had to stop and restart the car to reboot the system !
Simon.