Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Default Aerial Signal Strength

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:54:55 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:17:43 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

You might be better off getting a second hand sky box and a 20 quid
viewing card. Yes good riggers do exist but are few and far between and
they are on a roll charging the earth for a "Digital" aerial.

Around here Cambridge they asking £199-99 and getting the bu**er!.

Which should be money for old rope considering that the relatively
flat terrain should be providing quite good conditions and the only
reflections being from the poles on the punts.

Yes quite.. except that there some areas which are quite built up...

Oh yes. Ely Cathedral. I forgot ;-)

Ah yes!, now as it 'appens I could tell you quite a bit about the
absorptive effects of olithic limestone on VHF/FM signals

There are parts of central Cambridge where reception is rather
difficult!..

The price point probably has more to do with perception in comparison
with a complete Sky package and what the market will stand.

A local installer who I used some time ago (does commercial work and
fully equipped with test gear), does a basic supply and install
(contract grade antenna, TV coax, job done fastest way) for around £70
or a higher quality job with decent antenna, CT100 routed carefully
and as much as possible invisibly for about £120-130.

Who's that, Mike Lane?, regency aerials were the ones quoting silly
money FWIW...

--
Tony Sayer

..