Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Indeed, they limped on with carburettors long after
everyone had gone to EFI - not surprising since they owned SU
carburettors.

Nothing wrong with carburettors (as Rover developed them) in terms of
performance, just the problems of extra cost, complexity and (mainly)
poor performance in later life.

The last versions with ECU controlled mixture and idle speed in an attempt
to control emissions were hardly paragons of reliability - although they
did work ok when they worked. However, must have come very close to the
cost of decent EFI, so really rather pointless.

EFI is _very_ cheap to make these days - hardly any expensive machining
and we all know what Moore's law did to anything needing the electronic
smarts of the average GameBoy.

True. Or would,be if I knew what Moore's law was. ;-)

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.