Posted to sci.electronics.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
paulfoel

Default Safely discharging a capacitor

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:09:16 -0000, "Dave D" wrote:

Probably, but I'm not at the OP's house to take a look and be certain this
is the case, and as the symptoms are classic signs of worn brushes, I
thought I'd mention it in case.

How many tumble driers use brushed motors?

How many brushed motors also have a capacitor?

Now this assumes that it _is_ a capacitor of course. If it does have a
brushed motor, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a line filter instead
and these can look very similar to capacitors.

Nope. Definitely an 8 micro-Farad capacitor.