Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Cheney

Default How can I remove a washing machine agitator without risking death?

I was trying to remove the agitator from an old upright Kenmore washing
machine, and because none of the usual methods worked I decided to fit
an innertube between the bottom of the agitator and the tub and use air
pressure to push it up. But that didn't work either, and worse I can't
deflate the inner tube because the inflator valve contains a check
valve that refuses to leak. I know that even a few PSI of air can
contain contain enough energy to shoot the agitator through my head, so
does anybody know of a fairly safe way out of my predicament?