Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default 3 way light switch dimmers

On 21 Dec 2005 21:59:39 -0800, "DrDenny"
wrote:

Can I have a dimmer on each of the 2 switches? On sw1 I have a hot and
2 travlers, sw2 has the 2 travelers and the load(light fixture). I can
only get a dimmer to work at sw1. Do I need a second hot wire a sw2?

Thanks,
Denis

Well, at sw2, you could put in a regular 3-way switch, and a dimmer
next to it connected to the single wire, and that would *further* dim
the lignt, I think, but I don't think you could get it to full
brightness if you have the dimmer turned down at the other end.

Wait a second. Maybe that's what you mean about the second hot. If
you ran a hot from sw1 to sw2=location but connected it to a dimmer,
you could get the brightness up to full level, but then how would you
turn it down at the sw-1 location.

This needs someone more clever than I am.

Whatever you try, I'd set it up on a table first, and plug the whole
thing into a wall outlet, before I bothered installing it. The heavy
version of wires with alligator clips on each end are quite useful for
things like this.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.