Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Losing Power

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:53:26 -0500, mm
wrote:

I should have said that what I posted below is from suburban
Baltimore.

When I lived in Brooklyn NY, there was probably not more than one
power loss in 12 years, and that was the black-out that made news all
over the country.

Well, I've lost power here 6 times in 15 minutes. Other times once
a month.

Something happened to my burglar alarm and when there is even the
shortest power loss, the alarm would go off, even though it wasn't
armed. Can't use it anymore.

I think better appliances last longer without losing track of the
time. But price is not always what determines these things, and
maybe you should test them before you buy anymore in your case.

I have two vcr's and two alarm clocks on the same shelf, all digital.
And I can practically measure the outage by the number of them which
lose the time. One never does, and gives good FM but bad AM.
Another clock has a backup batter, 9v.
Both vcr's same brand, Magnavox, but one a couple years newer. The
old one loses the time in a split second. The newer one rarely loses
anything.

Some vcrr's have a memory capacitor. One of mine broke I guess, and
after I replace the cap with what they sold as a memory cap, it didn't
forget again.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.