Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default leaving fridge on

"RP" wrote in message

TURTLE wrote:

GINO wrote:

been on a couple of times already and was helped out quite a bit.

I'm asking if anyone knows if there are any hazards to leaving a fridge
on
when I leave a country cabin, it gets cold and can easily drop to -20 if
not
lower. Would the fridge just hibernate at this temp or still try to
maintain
it's operating temperature? I heard of others who turn them off and leave
the door ajar , for what reason?

Thanks to you all,

Gino

This is Turtle.

Here is the country boy's rules for friges at camps.

It is best to turn the box off and prop open the doors to keep the
moisture from forming inside the box to rust it apart. put a chair in
the way of the door to keep it from not closing.

You don't let refrigerator run in sub-freezing weather because of
possible freon flood backs when running and busting the valve plates in
the compressor. There is only a 1 in 1,000 chance of this happening but
if you have bad luck. Don't do it.

It won't even cycle on in sub-freezing weather since the stat is set
somewhere between 36 to 42 deg. It would call for heat if it was able.
Even if it did cycle on why would it flood back?

hvacrmedic

Cause, there is a 1 in 1000 chance it might.....LOL

I wonder if hes getting his numbers from GE on this one...

Also if you have any liquid items in the refrigerator section , they
will freeze and bust and make a mess. TURTLE