Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Default worth machining myself; how to begin?

Bernard Arnest wrote:

If I buy one, it will be a minimum of $2000 for a fixer-upper. There
is a short supply, they were last made in the early 20th century and
not in the same volumes as more general bandsaws or metal lathes;
they're a specialty machine. Thus in looking for the past few months,
there are a couple on the market that aren't fixer-uppers but are
closer to $4000. They weight around $600 lbs, needed, despite the tiny
scale of the work being done, to prevent someone walking too heavily
along the floor upstairs giving you tiny blips in your work. The more
weight, the more absorpsive of vibrations and the cleaner the work.
The design isn't the most complex, less so than a typical metal lathe,
although still quite complex, certainly much, much more so than the
ball vise. And that's also a lot of weight, which should give some
indication of just how much machining would be involved. A good
portion of that will be in the cast iron stands included in these
machines.

There are plenty of used ones to be found. Several of them he

http://goldmachinery.com/machinery/a...ineturning.htm

Maybe from this information, you could very roughly estimate for me
just what sort of project I would be getting myself into? For even
$4000, is the amount of machining this might involve just too much? I
could probably afford the steel, but could not afford the $4000, not
yet, although maybe 5 years down the road when I'm out of college and
have a real job. If it's going to take 800 hrs of machining, I would
rather wait the 5 years, but if it might be feasible to build, in a
reasonable amount of time...?

Unless you have experience in mold making for cast iron casting and
extensive machining experience to produce the various "rosettes" for the
rose barrel, I suggest you forget about making a machine like this
yourself.

Take a look at this page for some introductory information about these
machines and their workings (http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine.html)
This page includes some videos.

And take a look here for a sampling of patterns
http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine99.html

Almost every one of these pattern requires it's own rosette. All
rosettes produce more than one pattern and almost infinite variations
are possible.

Until you develop an intimate understanding of the construction of these
machines and how they work, forget about making your own. So I strongly
suggest that you save your money and buy one.

Oh, and before I forget, there are two kinds of engine turning machines,
"rotary" and "straight line".

Check out the work of Dale Chase for some exceptional work in wood, jade
and metal with an engine turning lathe. http://www.makerofboxes.com/

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com