Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default GMB Union

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:20:01 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:07:15 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , John Rumm
wrote:
The fact that most of the workforce seems to exist without being in a
union seems to support this alternate view is at least viable.

I'd argue that such workforces depend on unions elsewhere pushing for
legislation that supports all. They are taking a free ride.

You might, but it doesn't really hold water.

I'll accept that you disagree.

Why is it a "free" ride?

If it isn't obvious to you then I'm afraid that you need the full series of
lectures for beginners. That's a chargeable option.

It was a rhetorical question. If unions, funded by their members, want
to do lobbying of government, that is a matter for them. However,
this does not mean that there are not alternative ways to effect
changes in legislation (for example professional and trade
organisations).

If one were to start using this argument, I could say that other
members of the population get a free ride from what I pay in taxes
etc.

--

..andy