Ed Huntress

Default OT - Why is this news story not big on US news channels?

"Andrew" wrote in message

This story was covered by the NY Times in last Sunday's "Week In

Review"
("Facing a Second Nuclear Age").

The proposed bombs are bunker-busters, which the BBC apparently didn't
mention.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Didn't mention? look at the link again, it's there at least five times. I
saw the BBC item in the UK and the opening line was ' nuclear bunker
busters'. or should that have been nucular (sp?).....

Sheesh, I breezed over it too quickly. And if you start saying "nucular,"
we'll burn our OEDs. g

On the original post, if you spend anytime travelling outside the US and
see other countries news coverage you quickly realise that our US
coverage is usually;

Produced by the networks for viewing figures, sensationalism and over
emphasis rules, very little factual content.

Appears to assume the viewer has a blood temperature IQ

Rarely covers international events, and if they do its never a neutral
viewpoint.

There's some truth in that regarding broadcast coverage. It's not the case
at all with our major newspapers, however.

I read the BBC online, The Guardian, the Toronto Star, The Wall Street
Journal ($), The New York Times, and The Washington Post every day. My
collection is about the size of those of a lot of other journalists and
writers. I also read the rips of AP and Reuters. I often watch or listen to
the BBC's world coverage on cable or radio. My total time spent with all of
it is around three hours.

While I can appreciate a certain backlash by posters against non US news
agencies, such as the BBC in these threads it might be worth considering
that the news as received here is minimal in content and often factually
very different from the rest of the world.

For example, the BBC world news, presented in the networks as a thirty
minute show which with Ad's makes about 117 mins of programming is fourty
uninterrupted minuites in other countries.

The BBC's network coverage in the US, and their online coverage, is pretty
thin these days. I hope their home service has more depth.

Ed Huntress