Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Edward Reid

Default brewing coffee

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:34:32 GMT, Joseph LIttleshoes wrote:

'camp fire' coffee, just boiling the coffee grounds in a cooking pot
with water, after it comes to a boil and simmers for a minute i take it
off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then pour.

A few days ago I wanted a cup of coffee ... pulled out the Folger's decaf
that's been in the cupboard since last winter. Used double the amount since
it was so old. Put it in a bleached paper filter in a plastic cone over a
double-insulated plastic mug. Boiled the water and poured. It was awful.

More seriously, I read a couple of research articles a few years ago which
demonstrated that coffee not filtered though paper could raise blood
cholesterol levels. Not very much, maybe ten points (mg/dl???) for someone
who drank five cups a day. Not significant unless you drink a lot of coffee
AND have a cholesterol problem. The paper was the significant thing;
apparently it absorbs some oil that can raise cholesterol level.

Edward