Steve

Default Moment of Inertia for S Type I Beam

Roy Jenson wrote in message ...
You need to calculate the max stress before you worry about
deflection. My calculations show it will bend like a pretzel
since you will be at about 43.6kpsi at your 20k ton load.

Cheers.

I am curious how this beam will "bend like a pretzel"? How will it
bend like a pretzel if the deflection at load is only .05"? I
understand what the yield of mild steel is and that it is mostly
regarded to be 36,000 psi. However most mild steels are now rated at
around 47,900 psi from what I have been reading in various resources
and journals. Is this incorrect? This Beam is going to be used for the
top of a hydraulic press and will be supported by 2- 2.5"x2.5" .25
wall square tubing. I can always make it less wide to make the beam
more rigid and could also use a 10 ton jack instead. I crunched the
numbers on these and they came in quite a bit under the yield point.
Any more help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve