Posted to sci.electronics.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
news07

Default Safely discharging a capacitor

In message , Slurp
writes
Nah - that's nancy stuff for kids

.... real man stuff here!

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/capexpt.html

Where does one start, any site that had the following in the disclaimer

'DISCLAIMER: the experiments described below are fantastically
dangerous, and they are described without reference to the
many precautions needed to guarantee the experimenter's safety.
Accidentally discharging these capacitor banks through your
body can not only kill, but can explode flesh and bone.'

Followed by

'PARENTS: I supply no detailed plans for reproducing these
experiments. Also, these experiments require large and
expensive lab equipment which is not obtainable by children.
(And the plans for an atomic bomb are safe for children too,
because kids can't afford to buy kilograms of Plutonium!)
If your kids have access to 5,000 volt high-current power supplies,
then they are already in great danger, whether or not they read
about my capacitor discharge experiments below.'

Has my respect!
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org