Posted to sci.electronics.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
CJT

Default Safely discharging a capacitor

vortex2 wrote:

fail too. I would probably just short it out with a screwdriver,
although that can in theory damage the capacitor. Leave it for
at least 5 minutes since last powered up, and then short out,
and you'll be fine. Making up a proper resistive discharger for
this one occasion just isn't worth it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I was in the local Maplin shop the other day and saw that you can purchase 1
farad (huge) capacitors for power supply smoothing chav's in car audio
systems.

Must be interesting when you accidently short one of these!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/1-fa...QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1

David

Does anybody worry about the inrush current to these, and what that does
to one's alternator?