Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

Default OT Google buys AOL chunks

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:15:57 -0800, Enoch Root wrote:
Matt Stachoni wrote:

XP is the same way, if you know what to tweak and how to tweak it.

As opposed to the *nix* systems, which work out of the box without
constant fiddling.

My
machine was last rebuilt about 8 months ago,

One of my busier servers hasn't been rebuilt, and hasn't been rebooted
in (let's see...497+497+199= 1193 days). It was a sunday morning, and
the reboot was due to a clumsy mistake, not a system problem.

I'm on the net 24/7 and have yet to be infected with a virus or
spyware.

Sure, but if you have to constantly tweak and adjust it, then that's a
lot more screwing around than it should be.

My tweaking days are over. I want the computer to disappear when I'm
working on it. Since (now) I'm writing statistical apps for a genetics
lab I've turned in my sysadmin hat. Hopefully forever.

Ah, so you're a fully-recovered sysadmin, then. A difficult state to
get to.