Eric R Snow

Default Welding tank refills

On 8 Aug 2003 05:41:31 -0700, (Don) wrote:

My grandfather generously gave me some extra large welding tanks to
replace my little tanks. I called around here and most places said
that I needed to have an origional receipt of sale before they would
fill them. Anyone know why this is and how to get around it. I am not
sure where they origionally came from but my grandpa has had them for
years. I am sure they are not stolen or anything. All I am going to do
is use them at home for farm projects.

The place I trade my small tanks in for had to have the origional sale
from the tank manufacturer. Another place said I could just make up a
receipt from my grandpa and they would have to send the tanks out to
get refilled. (They do not exchange tanks).

What would they do if the tank is expired and is there a way I can
tell on the tank the expiration date?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings Don,
I don't know where you are but here in the seattle area I mostly use
Central Welding for my tanks. The tanks that I have are "owner
bottles". These are sizes that Central Welding and Airgas only sell,
and do not lease. So maybe you can get the size of your bottles,
(tanks, cylinders, etc.) from the stampings on the bottles and find
out if they are "owner" sizes. When re-filling Central offers two
options. You can have your bottle filled, but may have to wait days,
and pay for the hydro test. Or, you can exchange your bottle for one
the same size on the spot and they hydro the bottle when it needs it
at no charge to you. BTW, even though I started out using Central
Welding I have had bottles filled (exchanged actually) at Airgas that
came from Central and then had those bottles from Airgas filled at
Central. Being "owner" bottles it makes no difference.
Cheers,
Eric