David A. Webb

Default Welding tank refills

First, DO NOT take your tank anywhere until you find someone who you
are sure won't try to confiscate them.

Even though you are sure the tanks are not stolen, they might not be
his. A lot of places will only lease tanks. My opinion is that
private individuals should avoid these places at all cost.

I have tanks that have not been exchanged for 8 years, but that do get
used a few times a year. It would suck to have to pay rent when I'm
not using them very much.

Odds are, if you take the tank to a place that only leases, they will
turn you away. If the tanks came from them, they will confiscate
them.

A place that is pretty big here in the midwest is Airgas. They sell
and lease tanks, and I own several. Their policy is they will
exchange or fill any tank, as long as it is one of "theirs". They
will not fill or exchange tanks that have a label from anyone else,
unless it is a company that is out of business.

I have come across tanks that were sold by local companies that have
gone out of business. Airgas will exchange those tanks, because
nobody can prove if they were stolen or not.

If I walk into Airgas with an Airgas tank that I have not previously
owned, they will want to see a receipt. They will know I didn't buy
it from them, because it would be in their records. If I produce a
receipt, it better have a name on it of someone they have in their
records, else they might consider the tanks stolen.

NONE of the places I am familiar with sell tanks of "spaciality gas".
IE, if you walk in with a tank of high purity gas, or a special mix,
they will try to confiscate it because you didn't buy it. It was
probably stolen from a manufacturing shop or lab.

You have the advantage in that your tanks are probably beyond their
test date limit. I believe tanks are supposed to be tested and
stamped every 10 years. If the last stamp on your tanks is before
1993, you have evidence to support your claim that they have been in
your grandfather's possession for a while. Actually, the only proof
is the number of years beyond the 10 years from the last date.

Anyway, there should be a label on the tank indicating where it came
from. If that place is still in business, call them. They should
have records on your grandfather's purchase. You might find out they
were actually leased. That happened to me once. I bought some tanks,
only to find out later they were leased to the guy I bought them from.
If that happens, the tanks are basically worthless.

If the tanks are beyond their test date, it isn't a big deal. You
just pay an extra fee to have them re-tested. Might be $20 or $30.
But it is good for 10 years.
If you pay that fee, and have your tanks exchanged, make sure they
give you a tank that has recently been tested. It would suck to pay
the fee, and them give you a tank that is about to expire.

I would call all of the local gas suppliers, tell them exactly what
you have and who's label is on the tank. Explain to them that you
inherited them, and you have a receipt. (like you said, you can
basically write your own receipt as long as your grandfather knows
about it) Tell them you would like to set up an account in which you
still own the tanks, but can exchange them as needed.

I have been seeing that many places are now starting to charge
"maintenance fees" on top of the hydro-test fees. So far I have
managed to have them waived, because these annual fees are for things
like valve replacement, tank cleaning/painting, etc. My argument is
that I shouldn't have to pay because the tank I've had for 8 years
(for example) has not had a new valve in at least 8 years. Why pay an
annual fee for work that isn't being done. Airgas agrees, and waive
the fee. For businesses that exchange tanks frequently, they have to
pay. About half of the tanks I see from Airgas anymore have new
valves, and a fresh coat of paint. So at least the money is actually
being used for it's intended purpose. (unlike most taxes)

Hope this helps.

Dave

On 8 Aug 2003 05:41:31 -0700, (Don) wrote:

My grandfather generously gave me some extra large welding tanks to
replace my little tanks. I called around here and most places said
that I needed to have an origional receipt of sale before they would
fill them. Anyone know why this is and how to get around it. I am not
sure where they origionally came from but my grandpa has had them for
years. I am sure they are not stolen or anything. All I am going to do
is use them at home for farm projects.

The place I trade my small tanks in for had to have the origional sale
from the tank manufacturer. Another place said I could just make up a
receipt from my grandpa and they would have to send the tanks out to
get refilled. (They do not exchange tanks).

What would they do if the tank is expired and is there a way I can
tell on the tank the expiration date?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!