Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Aerial Signal Strength

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:40:57 GMT, "john"
wrote:

| After tolerating a poor signal for a few years - which became intolerable
| when Channel 5 started, I signed up to cable TV. Reception problems over and
| more channels as well.
|
| I am now hoping to save some money - and tried someone's Freeview Set top
| box. All I got was a blue screen message saying no signal - so clearly it is
| bad. Previous attempts to improve the signal got me a 12 foot mast - which
| looked so hideous as was badly fitted that I had it taken down - and the
| installer had to pay for repairs to my brickwork which he had shatteredwith
| a Hilti Gun.
| A later attempt got me a mast head amplifier - better, but then along came
| NTL.
|
| My roof is virtually a pyramid shape so height is a problem.
|
| Question - will a decent installer be able to measure the signal strength
| before fitting anything? I don't want to get more hardware fitted if it
| isn't going to get me a Freeview signal. Nearby homes have high gain aerials
| and presumably Freeview - but they have gable ends or chimneys. I am atthe
| bottom of a hill.

Have you considered waiting till Freesat is up and running sometime
next year? Only BBC, ITV programs plus a lot of minor things are up
and running ATM Ch4 and Ch5 are still encrypted by $ky :-(

See sig for details.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -