Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Default Aerial Signal Strength

After tolerating a poor signal for a few years - which became intolerable
when Channel 5 started, I signed up to cable TV. Reception problems over and
more channels as well.

I am now hoping to save some money - and tried someone's Freeview Set top
box. All I got was a blue screen message saying no signal - so clearly it is
bad. Previous attempts to improve the signal got me a 12 foot mast - which
looked so hideous as was badly fitted that I had it taken down - and the
installer had to pay for repairs to my brickwork which he had shattered with
a Hilti Gun.
A later attempt got me a mast head amplifier - better, but then along came
NTL.

My roof is virtually a pyramid shape so height is a problem.

Question - will a decent installer be able to measure the signal strength
before fitting anything? I don't want to get more hardware fitted if it
isn't going to get me a Freeview signal. Nearby homes have high gain aerials
and presumably Freeview - but they have gable ends or chimneys. I am at the
bottom of a hill.

John