Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Jerry Avins

Default brewing coffee

Sawney Beane wrote:

How about a triple-beam balance? My level tablespoons weigh 6
grams, but I make 8-oz cups, so mine is 75% as strong as Jerry's
and 50% stronger than yours.

It's more than just a matter of taste. It depends also on the choice of
beans.

I use an electronic scale that reads to 20ths of ounces of halves of
grams, up to 5 pounds. I use it frequently when cooking.

My relatives use a grinder with a "propeller" blade. I haven't
noticed any bitterness, but the blade could be generating dust that
clogs the screen in the French press or ends up in the cup.
Overall, I think the grounds may be too course. Anyway, a
hand-cranked model would be cordless, and that would be convenient.

It doesn't have to be hand cranked. There are mill-wheel models around
someone gave me a Braun, the model before the current CaféSelect KMM 30,
to fix, and when I repaired it. to keep. I had to hold the hand-cranked
one it replaced with one hand while I cranked it with the other. It was
enough of a chore to make me think of screwing it to the counter top.

THEN use a French press. As
an alternative to a French press, get a vacuum type maker. Drip machines
don't make the water hot enough and percolators continue rebrewing and
boiling the coffee as long as you let it go.

Coffee from a French press is much improved by being run through a paper
filter. Try it and see how much muck stays on the paper.

How do you know a drip machine doesn't get the water hot enough?
Are they all the same? I suppose brewing 10 cups would get the
grounds hotter than 5.

I keep the kettle simmering on the burner.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ