ATP

Default End mill holder vs collett

Gary R Coffman wrote:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:54:44 GMT, Bradford Chaucer
wrote:
My question is whether a collett is sufficient for holding endmills
or am I advised to opt for the end mill holders??

End mill holders are designed to hold end mills. Collets are
workholding devices. That said, you can use a collet to hold an end
mill. The problem is that there's no way to lock the end mill in the
collet to prevent it from sucking out while cutting. That could ruin
a work piece in which you'd invested a lot of time. You can probably
get away with it indefinitely on a small machine taking light cuts,
but it is something to consider.

Gary

Are double angle collets any better? I'm getting a set of DA400 that I plan
on using with my Nichols Miller so I don't have to disassemble the drawbar
to change endmill sizes.