Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaving fridge on

m Ransley wrote:

My fairly new Sears Kenmore energy star can not be run in a room below 50-55f.

It can't be, or that isn't recommended because the freezer might thaw?
In wintertime, I unplug the barn fridge and put a 100 W bulb in series with
a Thermocube in a lower drawer of the fridge compartment that lights the bulb
when the fridge compartment temp drops to 35 F to keep it from freezing.

If I used the freezer compartment, perhaps I could keep it from thawing by
plugging the fridge back in with a thermostat that also turns on the bulb
in the fridge part when the freezer compartment gets up to 20 F. Who makes
a cheap "reverse thermocube" like that? An old fridge thermostat might work,
if the setpoint could be adjusted that low.

Nick

http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BEW19.html