Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

Default Housing market is realy bucking up!

[Dave Plowman (News)] :
And no decent local infrastructure. You mentioned your place will be
within easy walking distance of where you want to go - ie nice shops,
restaurants, entertainment, etc. This wasn't the case with many high
density council estates.

Agreed 100%. Where I will be there is a coffee/lunch shop with a direct
entrance from our foyer, 7/11 convenience store, great pizza place,
cafe, newsagents on the same block, tram stop outside the front door
(St Kilda beach 10 minutes, 8 trams/hour each way). The list of
amenities within 10 minutes walk is too long to recite. And when I get
old and decrepit there is a doctor's surgery across the road and
chemist on the next block. In this location owning a car will be pretty
pointless: I'll just hire one for a monthly 'big shop' or weekends
away.

There are loads of low density suburbs that Drivel would have us
believe are the way forward (Melbourne has roughly the same footprint
as Greater London and just 3 million people) which are fine if you have
a car, but if you can't drive for any reason then you would probably
feel pretty isolated.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]