Posted to alt.home.repair
Sawney Beane

Default brewing coffee

What weights have you found for scoops from new and old containers?
I weighed one tablespoon from a half-empty can and got 6 grams.

I've been weighing flour for years. If you fill a cup from a
sifter, it won't have nearly as much flour as one filled by
scooping. Tapping the cup against the table will also make the
flour denser. I didn't think this would be much of a problem with
coffee grounds. They seem springier than flour.

"Dr. Edmund M. Hayes" wrote:

I have to agree 100% with the electronic scale method.
If you use a scoop, the amount of coffee in the scoop will depend on
the amount of compression of the grinds when you "scoop" it from the
container.
If you dig in to a full container of ground coffee the scoop will
compress the fragments of the beans making each scoop MUCH heavier
then if you scoop into the bottom of the container.
If you weight a tightly compressed scoop and compare it to a scoop of
lightly compressed coffee you will see the difference.
The difference might not be that noticeable in one scoop but multiple
that by lets say 12 and you have a very big difference in weight.

The weight method is the ONLY way to get the same amount of coffee in
the pot each and every time and this is the only way to make sure each
pot tastes the same.

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:56:29 -0800, "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

I use a 19.95 Mr Coffee from Target to do coffee. It has one button (on, and
off!), no clock, but does a great job. It uses paper filters, and I like the
coffee better, even tho it is cooler, than my old Chemex. I use 5 heaping
measures for 4 1/2 mugs (but lines on pitcher read 7 cups). To enhance the
experience, I keep whole beans in the freezer, and pop them directly into
the electric coffee grinder. They seem to grind more evenly when ground
frozen. To make up for the tepid brew typical of an electric maker, I
preheat the mug by filling it from my instant hot water tap, swishing it
around for a few seconds, then filling the mug. An even better brew results
if you use filtered water to start with.
From the above posts, everyone has his own approach!