Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

Default leaving fridge on

wrote in message
. .. been on a couple of
times already and was helped out quite a bit. I'm asking if anyone knows if
there are any hazards to leaving a fridge on
when I leave a country cabin, it gets cold and can easily drop to -20 if
not lower. Would the fridge just hibernate at this temp or still try to
maintain it's operating temperature? I heard of others who turn them off
and leave the door ajar , for what reason? GINO

At -20 degrees, I would worry about something possibly failing in the
compressor area, which is not in the insulated, inside part of the fridge.
The fridge specs will give operating temp range.
Of course, the room will be heated somewhat by the compressor running,
increasing the temp. in the room. Another reason to shut it off: why waste
electricity while you are away? And add a (albeit very small) chance of an
electrical malfunction.
Others prop open the doors to allow air to circulate inside, reducing the
rate of mold formation, which is common in closed fridges, at ambient
temperature.