Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default mixing red oak in with white oak?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:58:24 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy
Dingley quickly quoth:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:37:42 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

If you're using a fairly brutal commercial stain

Could you expand on this? Brutal commercial stain? As opposed to what?

I'm a bit of a stain Nazi when it comes to oak. I never stain it - I'm a
big fan of ammonia fuming and use it on nearly all my oak (which is most
of my cabinetry). One of the drawbacks of fuming is that it does tend
to vary between boards - and for white/red oak the difference is
substantial.

If you're staining it, then a stain for "mission" can vary between light
to near-Jacobean with black grain-filling wax too. The darker end of
this scale will hide anything.

....so why not just have him use pineywood? He'll prolly just smear
poly all over it anyway. Why waste good wood for that? groan

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)