Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Default Good/Bad Idea

I put my old 50 gallon tank in the boat shed and ran a line to my new 60
gallon compressor in the shop. I was concerned about wearing out the new
compressor but the engineer at the local commercial compressor sales company
told me that while it does lengthen the run time it reduces the cycle time
so you come out about the same. There is a small drop in efficiency with
big tanks because with longer run times the cylinder heats up more and the
actual volume of ambient temperature air goes down. The advantage for me is
that I don't have the big pressure drop from the long run to the shop..

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Steve B" wrote in message
Should I, or it even smart to hook a volume tank to a compressor that
already has one? I have a two horse Husky, brand new. I have the old
volume tank off the deceased Sears oil less screamer.

Is this helpful in any way, or does it just make the compressor run twice
as long filling up two tanks?

Steve