Bob Powell

Default standard internal taper with D1-6 ?

Jon Elson wrote in message ...
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

Thanks for any comments,

Jon

Look in Machinery's, in the Standard Tapers section, among all the
tables one is called "American National Standard Self-Holding Tapers -
Basic Dimension (ANSI B5.10-1981)". The table starts out with 3 tiny
B&S tapers, then has the full Morse taper series to MT #7, and then it
continues into the "3/4 inch per foot series".

It's my understanding that relatively modern lathes with spindle bores
too large for the MT series use the 3/4 in/ft series. A D-6 would
need about a #250 taper, the # correponds to the taper diameter at the
large end, e.g. 2.5" for the #250.

Bob