Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Default Underlay & Suspended Floor

I didn't and I had to insert packing around a doorway after the fact
which worked out OK, but less than perfect - if I'd noticed I'd have
considered levelling compound first. This was due to a floating floor
where the chipboard was sitting on expanded plastic slabs which had
compressed over the decade around most doorways. The depression was about
5mm-7mm over a metre or so, not enough to see, but enough to form a hollow
under the laminate. Laminate can follow gentle undulations, but not that
extreme.

Thanks for the insight Tim. Upstairs I'm fine, downstairs, both reception
rooms have a pronounced hump in the middle. I guess the easiest way to get
around this is to rip out the floorboards and replace with chipboard.

Have I ever said that some modern building practises are the work of the
devil? Floating subfloors and drywalls - lazy, cheap and evil.

Having had to replace a few lath & plaster ceilings and walls I'd argue that
they were the work of at least a minor evil diety !