Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Shower stall caulking

I have a 1994 built house, had a mouldy shower stall. Stripped off the
caulking, hard to tell
what kind, it was kind of soft like silicone. The one 'tween the metal
door and tile was
definitely silicone. First attempt at caulking with silicone miserable
failure, stripped it out
again, this time when I was smoothing it out, it became like cottage
cheese. Stripped it out
again (PAIN!). Don't want to get it wrong this time. Any advice as to:

1. What caulking to use, silicone, latex or hybrid.
2. If silicone is to be used, should I try to tool (smooth) it out
immediately after i finish one
side or finsih the entire stall and then do it? Might it not then be
too late?
3. Can I leave the caulking on one vertical side, since it is fine? I
cut the bottom 1/2 cm to
make room for caulking the side. I guess since the old caulking is
silicone, it may have to
go?

4. Should I just hire someone to do it, since a leaky shower is
definitely not worth saving money?

Thanks in advance,

Frustrated, somewhere in NJ,
Vijay