Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default OT but metal content: They do exist ...

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
Over here in the US, there are a lot of older women who know an
awful lot about industrial and manufacturing work if you know to ask
them. They haven't had the incentive to touch a wrench or a torch in
decades, they went back to their families, kitchens and knitting.
Their collective nickname was "Rosie the Riveter." Perhaps you've
heard of them?

Those in Germany in 1944 heard FROM them, so to speak, as the waves
of bombers flew overhead.

There's a woman in our metropolitan area who is building full-custom
motorcycles, designed especially for women, but also selling quite a
few to the smaller, wiry sort of guys, in the $50,000 price range.
Kind of a mystery to me, but my hat is off to such entrepreneurship,
male OR female! This is not a one-off sort of business, she's making
several hundred a year. I gather she uses an off-the-shelf engine/
transmission, and wheels/axles, but the rest is basically all made
in her shop.

Jon