Posted to alt.home.repair
Milky-G

Default Dishwasher Installation

I've installed a dishwasher in a new cabinet and countertop section in my
kitchen and need help with addressing proper drainage. It's not near the
sink. I have the drain loop running up and around the washer, but the
existing drop is just above the floor and runs straight down into the
basement. This creates a siphoning after the initial wash, so when it
refills for the rinse, the water keeps siphoning out. Obviously, I can't
install the typical air gap that's used on sinks because I can't risk any
backup flooding under the cabinet section. I've heard something about using
a "Y" connector type air gap that connects near the floor but runs up the
wall and is capped off with, I'm guessing, a filter that only passes air (or
maybe it's some kind of one-way valve or ball frit?). Is anyone familiar
with setting this up or does anyone have any advice on how to make my
current setup work correctly? I've seen dishwashers installed in kitchen
islands with no sink, so there must be a common way of connecting this
properly.

Thanks.