Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default What would be a decent set of 'loaner-tools'?

In article ,
says...
Keith Williams wrote in
:

In article . net,
says...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I 'putter-around in the garage alot, and it gets awfully hot in
there
in a FL summer with the garage door closed ;-)

I will see if I can find a Harbor Freight around locally. I have
heard horror stories about them, but if I can fondle the tools
before I buy, I might feel better about buying them.

Thanks all!

Stick to tools without moving parts. HF wrenches are fine (drop
forged hardened steel but not precision machined) but things like
channel locks and wire cutters are junk.

I bought the $99 10" sliding compound miter saw. While it's no
Hitachi, it's fairly decent considering it's 1/5 the price. I also
bought a couple of their $20 cordless drills. Those were
overpriced. ;-)

My Harbor Freight jigsaw,a clone of a Bosch 1581,works great,for
$60USD,$100 less than a real Bosch.

I'll have to look at it. Thanks.

If I were a contractor or heavy user,I'd buy Bosch,though.

There was a contractor in one of the groups who bought HF power
tools because he was tired of his expensive stuff getting stolen.
They were throwaways and no one wanted to steal them anyway.

--
Keith