Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default pecan wood

said:

It can be made into some beautiful pieces though, so stick with it. As
as side note, I don't have near as much tear out or precision cutting
problems since I quit running to the grinder every few minutes. I now
keep a small multiform waterstone (180 grit) next to the lathe in a
peanut butter jar full of water. Cut for a few minutes, then a few
swipes on the tool, then back at it.

Same here - except for the type of container full of water. Made a big
difference in reducing tear-out when cutting kiln dried walnut - which
I was having problems with. Seems to me that nut bearing trees can be
rather difficult.

I only hit the grinder when the tool is not easily touched up with the
stone. The edge stays longer when honed (Fred Holder's research?) and
it is just as fast as grinding. But is gives a better edge, for fine
medium to fine cuts. And while I still take the big bowl gougest to
the grinder, I give them a couple of finishing swipes with the stone as
I can feel the tiny burr inside the flute after sharpening, and that
bugs me.

I strive to produce a burr on my scraper, however...

FWIW,

Greg G.