Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default pecan wood

A great turner that used to frequent this group, Steve Russell, called
dried pecan "pecancrete". And for a good reason.

It is one of the few hardwoods we have here in abundance in S. Texas,
so everyone around here has at least tried it. When it is really
green, it tears out like hell. It is strange as different pecans seem
to turn a lot different from each other. I have turned green pecan
that almost turn out in little balls from the tear out (went to the
BBQ) and other pieces from different trees that turned long swishing
curlies. I think when it is about half way dry, it turns well, and
finishes well. When it is totally dry, it is a great wood to BBQ with,
or make some small spindle turnings because all of it seems to wind up
really hard when dried.

It can be made into some beautiful pieces though, so stick with it. As
as side note, I don't have near as much tear out or precision cutting
problems since I quit running to the grinder every few minutes. I now
keep a small multiform waterstone (180 grit) next to the lathe in a
peanut butter jar full of water. Cut for a few minutes, then a few
swipes on the tool, then back at it.

I only hit the grinder when the tool is not easily touched up with the
stone. The edge stays longer when honed (Fred Holder's research?) and
it is just as fast as grinding. But is gives a better edge, for fine
medium to fine cuts. And while I still take the big bowl gougest to
the grinder, I give them a couple of finishing swipes with the stone as
I can feel the tiny burr inside the flute after sharpening, and that
bugs me.

Some of the others in my club snicker at the waterstone, because they
read somewhere they just don't have the extra 5 -7 seconds to use it.
They do however, seem to have plenty of time to sand....

Robert