Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default Mitre curve.

On 18 Dec 2005 17:45:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pat"
quickly quoth:

I have to replace the moulding on a door. The door has two quarter
lites at the top, and these lites are curved. I am curious how to
calculate the angle that the mitre would need to be.

If you don't know the curvature OR the angles, how are you going to
make moulding, Pat?!? Got a picture of it on your website?
Are they domed, gothic, circular, or what? Symmetrical or asym?

Any ideas? Is there a rule of thumb?

Yes, the window's total angles have to add up to 360°
(or 180°, depending upon the formula used.) bseg

Perhaps a trip to your local bookstore or library might help.
Look for "Circular Work in Carpentry and Joinery" by George Collings.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance