Posted to misc.consumers,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Why does Maytag quality become so pitiful?

I'm dealing with Maytag repair on a washing machine. My appliance
repair guy came the day after I called, checked the machine and said
the transmission was shot, that it was probably under warranty and that
I should call Maytag.

Maytag sent a guy a week after I called. He checked, it was the
transmission, it was under warranty (not labor), had to order a part,
collected the check for the flat rate labor and left.

A week later another Maytag man shows up with the part, and no warning
that he's coming (I'm out), checks the machine and says there's nothing
wrong with it. Believe me, there's something wrong with it! The guy
_refused_ to repair the machine with the part that was ordered by the
other Maytag guy.

Even after it was pointed out that his company had diagnosed the
problem, ordered the part, and been paid, he still refused. When I
returned home, I found that he had put (I am not exaggerating) two
T-shirts and one pair of pants in a machine on the biggest load
setting. What load? The machine was spinning water. Of course a
transmission doesn't work hard when there's no load. Sheesh.

It seems the acquisition and litigation have caused quality and service
problems as well as financial difficulties. It's a shame - they used
to have such long-lasting, trouble-free machines.