Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default Pinewood Derby - Part Deux -Bring It On Sylvan.

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:30:41 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

This year the wheels will be packed with the appropriate lubricant,
rather than a spit of WD-40.

I was with you up to here. Anything other than graphite is cheating. Your
choice, but just what is it that you want your son to learn here?

Our group stopped running the derby. Every car was built by the father and
all the winners were cheating. We just decided it wasn't a proper scouting
event.

Our local pack has a very laid back attitude towards this race.

Last year there weren't even any rules beyond what was in the kit box,
which was almost nothing, mostly just gross dimensions, max weight,
etc. Nothing about axles, wheels, lube, etc.

The WD-40 comment was intended to show my ignorance. I didn't think
anyone would think of WD-40 as an improvement over the approved dry
lube.

This year we have a pack website and they've posted some rules,
including the requirements about using only what comes with the kit,
limitations on reshaping axles and wheels, etc.

So far as I know we don't participate in any kind of district level
event, just the one pack meeting with maybe thirty kids.

They all seem to have fun and I think that pretty near every kid goes
home with some kind of an award.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)