Posted to alt.home.repair
MajBach

Default Fireplace operation

Thanks for your replies. I was convinced that it was not wood because I used
to use a woodburning stove to heat my former house and I have used wood that
seemed much less dry that the wood I used in this open fireplace but still
it burned very well. Plus, some of the wood I used recently was cedar which
I figured would burn a little better than hardwood if it was a little moist.
Yes, I did by this wood in an orange net from a variety store. Perhaps I
will try one of those store bought fireplace logs next time seeing as it is
only a ambience flame I need. Thanks again to you both.

"siralfred" wrote in message
oups.com...
A fire can't have too much air, but certainly too strong of a draft.
In this case though, it sounds more like your logs haven't been fully
seasoned. I used to buy mine at the supermarket. It was supposedly
kiln dried, but half the time it would behave just like you're
describing. Just ruined what could have been a nice evening by the
fire. If you've bought a cord from a local dealer, ask for an exchange
or your money back.
When you cover the opening with plywood you create a stronger draft as
you would get with a woodstove. But if this is what it takes to keep a
flame going then I still say the wood is slightly damp.